Many parents and students hold dearly to the belief that summer is a time for a complete mental break from the rigors of school. But while it is important to take breaks to improve performance, summer is too long a break to allow students to go without academic stimulation! The consequences of this extended academic furlough can be detrimental, especially to students already struggling during the school year. This is why summer tutor programs are becoming more and more in demand.
Table of Contents
What Other Sources Say
According to the National Summer Learning Association: “Two-thirds of the ninth grade achievement gap can be explained by unequal access to summer learning opportunities during the elementary school years.” This is huge! (Here’s the research)
And did you know that at the beginning of a new school year teachers often spend up to 6 weeks re-teaching previously learned material because most kids have already forgotten it over the summer?
Even First Lady Michelle Obama talked about the issue of summer learning loss while kicking off the Let’s Read, Let’s Move Initiative to help inspire students and parents to change these counterproductive summer habits.
Down time to relax and catch your breath is a great thing, don’t get me wrong! But learning loss can occur when this mental break turns from a few days into a few weeks and even a few months. Here are some examples and reasons to support the case for summer tutoring and/or summer academic programs or camps to support retention, engagement, and promote new learning to get next year off to a strong start.
Summer Academics Can:
- Help kids retain the information they already learned last year
- Help kids strengthen their understanding of learned information from last and previous years
- Help kids prepare for the new information they will be learning next year
- Help kids catch up and focus on the things that they may have struggled with during the school year
- Allow students to make up a class for credit to replace a poor grade earned during the school year (great for improving unweighted GPA, which so important in college entrance and scholarships)
Benefits of 1-on-1, in-home Summer Tutoring:
- The tutor can come to you around your schedule
- The tutor can work specifically on areas your child needs reinforcing and keep important concepts and skills fresh through practice and engaging activities catering to your child’s learning style and preferences.
- The tutor can even assign your child homework between summer tutoring sessions so that he/she will not fall out of the habit of doing academic exercise for the 2 to 3 months of summer break. This makes the transition back to school in the Fall painless.
- Tutoring helps continue a set, predictable routine, which is a very healthy thing in a young person’s life.
- Tutoring builds confidence that can last a lifetime. Too many students “hate math” because they do not feel confident or competent. Summer tutoring can break this vicious cycle.
Top 10 Summer Tutor Programs You Should Consider
1. Huntington Learning Center
Huntington Learning Center is one of the summer tutor programs which begins their admission with a parent conference and an academic evaluation of the student. Afterwhich, they furnish them with a schedule where they will be able to work at their own pace. Here are some of their programs for K to 12 students:
- SAT/ACT prep for sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Reading, writing, math, phonics, and study skills reinforcement for elementary students
- Middle school and high school enhancement classes
2. Stanford Summer Session
For you to be able to attend the Stanford Summer Session, you must meet the following requirements:
- Should be 17 years of age when the program starts
- Should have completed high school or secondary school
- Completed one term in college or university
- For international students, English language proficiency should be verified
Attending Stanford’s summer tutor programs is well worth your time because you will experience attending a world-class university. You’ll also be mentally and physically challenged through various academic and extra-curricular activities.
3. Therapeutic Literacy Centers
The summer programs offered by the Therapeutic Literacy Centers aims to cater to students who don’t normally thrive in a traditional classroom setup. They focus on offering reading and writing programs which will enhance the following skills of the students:
- Critical thinking
- Expression of ideas
4. Tutoring Rocks
All the summer programs of Tutoring Rocks are now done in a digital platform. Below are the programs they are offering:
- Weekly Tutoring. This program is aimed at the enrichment of previously learned topics and teaching the foundations of the most difficult concepts taught at school.
- Study Skills Camp. This three-day camp will help you enhance the followings skills: studying, test-taking, note-taking, memory tricks, goal setting, and time management.
- Chemistry Prep Course. This is also a three-day program which aims to help students who are intimidated by the Chemistry subject.
5. AJ Tutoring
AJ Tutoring has a lot of summer courses that you can choose from. They have K to 8 courses, Test Prep to overcome test anxiety, Foreign Languages, Social Sciences, English, Math, Sciences, Computers/Programming, Study Skills, and Arts and Recreation.
Initially, they get input from your parents regarding your needs. And then they will tailor an approach which is suited to your learning style. Pretty cool, right?
6. iAchieve Learning
iAchieve Learning offers three different summer tutor programs. Here are they:
- Summer Scholar. This is a 30 hour one on one tutoring for students who are having difficulties catching up with fast-paced subjects.
- Academic Achiever. This is more suitable for students who are already advanced in their subjects but still feel the need to enhance their skills. They’ll meet with their tutor twice a week for a total of 20 hours.
- Leisurely Learner. In this set-up, the student will only meet with their tutor once a week so they won’t forget what they have learned from school over the summer break. This is only 10 hours.
7. Club Z Tutoring Services
Club Z Tutoring Services have in-home and online tutoring programs through their one on one tutors. Below are the programs that they are currently offering:
- ACT Test prep
- SAT Test prep
- Writing program
- Study skills program
- Reading programs for advanced and remedial learners
- Kindergarten readiness
- Foreign language tutoring
8. Tutor Doctor
Tutor Doctor boasts of the 200,000+ students that they have tutored over the past years. In fact, they were already featured on ABC, NBC, Wall Street Journal, and Fox News. These are their goals in for their summer program:
- Reduce learning gaps
- Prepare for the next grade
- Build their confidence
9. Grade Power Learning
Grade Power Learning believes that summer learning loss is cumulative. That’s why they developed summer tutoring programs that focus on:
- Preparation for the upcoming school year
- Enrichment activities that will encourage students to apply what they learned from the previous year.
- Reviewing essential skills such as math, writing, and reading.
- Addressing the students’ academic fears.
10. New Coda
The summer tutor programs of New Coda can either be done at the comfort of your home or at their office. They offer test preparations for the PSAT, SAT, and ACT, as well as summer academic tutoring for the following subjects:
- Algebra I/II
- English grammar
- Intro to Analysis
- AP Calculus AB and BC introduction
- College Algebra
- Physics and introduction to AP physics
- Essay writing
- College Calculus introduction
- Middle school math
- AP English introduction
- Reading comprehension and critical thinking
Latest posts by Todd VanDuzer (see all)
- Why Finding the Right Thing to Study Matters: Setting the Foundation for Success - July 26, 2023
- How USA Staff Onboarding Benefits From Innovative Software - July 26, 2023
- Top 7 Best Reasons to Get an MBA - June 7, 2023
- How to Support Your Child When They Go to College - April 29, 2023
- How to Maximize Your Job Search with Expert Resume Writers Experienced in Your Field - April 20, 2023